According to new research from NASFT (the National Association for the Specialty Food Trade), chocolate has overtaken coffee as the top specialty food purchased by U.S. consumers. The 1,500 adults surveyed July 2011 listed their top specialty foods as:
- Olive oil & specialty oils
- Yogurt & kefir
- Cold non-alcoholic beverages
Other tidbits from the survey:
- Farmers markets are growing in popularity as a source for specialty food.
- More than half surveyed said they are buying smaller portions, such as single-serving sizes of chocolate instead of bars.
- Coffee, chocolate and tea are the top 3 specialty products purchased online.
NASFT is a not-for-profit trade association established in 1952 to foster trade, commerce and interest in the specialty food industry.